After receiving my Graze nibble box this afternoon which contained a slice of lemon & poppy seed cake with some afternoon tea, I was motivated to make one for all of us to share because it was just SO good.
I modified the ingredients of Tana Ramsey's Lemon Drizzle cake recipe from the BBC Good Food website slightly and it turned out rather well, it is delicious!
This is how I made my tray bake:
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g white sugar
- 4 eggs
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 225g self raising flour
- Small handful of poppy seeds (I literally just threw in a small handful, use your own discretion for this one)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 85g white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180c / fan 160c / gas 4.
- Cream together the butter and sugar, then add the 4 eggs one at a time until combined.
- Sift in the flour, and then add the lemon zest and poppy seeds and mix thoroughly.
- Grease/line a tray (the one I used is 8" x 12" and just over 1" deep), pour in the mixture and place in the oven for approx 30 minutes (this may need adjusting to suit your own oven) and a skewer inserted in to the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the drizzle topping by adding the sugar to the lemon juice and stirring well.
- When the cake is cooling on the rack, prick it all over with the skewer or a fork and pour over the drizzle topping.
- Leave it in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve.
I have linked up this post with Make, Do & Push! for Cake Week.