This recipe makes a very large Apple Crumble, enough to serve my family of seven with plenty of leftovers for the next day (that can be a warming after-school snack for your littles in these colder months).
You can of course alter the ingredients to whatever you wish... Apple & blackberry maybe, or rhubarb.
for crumble -
22oz plain flour
12oz unrefined brown sugar
14oz unsalted butter - cubed
for fruit filling -
2lb cooking apples - peeled, cored & cubed
4oz unrefined brown sugar
2 tbsp plain flour
Generous pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 180c/350f/GM4.
- Add the sugar and flour to a large bowl, and mix well. Adding just a few at a time, gradually combine the cubes of butter to the mixture and 'rub in' until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- In a separate bowl, add your fillings of fruit, sugar, flour and cinnamon and carefully mix together.
- Butter an oven dish (I used a pyrex dish, 11" x 7" and 3" deep) and add the fruit mixture. Sprinkle the crumble over the top.
- Bake in the oven for approx 45 minutes or until the crumble is nicely browned. Serve with custard, and enjoy this filling winter warmer!